Kasturba Medical College, Manipal and Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, together known as KMC, are two private medical colleges in coastal Karnataka established by T M A Pai in 1953. The colleges were established as a single unit and later became two colleges with their own teaching hospitals. KMC was the first self-financing medical college in India. Students from more than 50 countries have graduated from KMC and the degrees are recognized worldwide. The colleges are constituent units of Manipal Academy of Higher Education, an Institution of Eminence.
The college started as a single institution in 1953 with the pre-clinical section at Manipal and the students had to go to Mangalore for their clinical training at Wenlock District Hospital. The first batch of students arrived in Mangalore in 1955 for their clinical training. The clinical program commenced at Manipal in 1969 with the setting up of Kasturba Hospital. The colleges were later separated with the establishment of a pre-clinical section in Mangalore. Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore is attached to three government hospitals and was the first medical college in India to be established as a public-private partnership. KMC Hospital Attavar and KMC Hospital Ambedkar Circle were later established in Mangalore. KMC Manipal and KMC Mangalore, along with other institutions in Manipal were consolidated to form the Manipal Academy of Higher Education. It was granted deemed university status in 1993 by the UGC.